Thursday, January 17th 2019, 8:38am UTC+1

You are not logged in.

• Login
  • Register

hagess

Forumist

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 10:45am

Maerklin Quality cause of failure??

I apologise for writing in English as I feel that using a Language translator I will loose some intent.

Some History:
I was not reared with Model rail myself. I had cousins who had their own model trains and Layouts. I was train poor , I had none but spent may hours with my cousins and their models.

Two years ago my Uncle passed away and left me, in his will,
some Maerklin C track, a MS and CS as well as some Maerklin rolling stock, the major piece was an AMtrak A-A F7 and Amtrak carriage set and 5 Hag Locos and 3 sets of Hag carriages and other rolling stock.

Recently i went to purchase some more stock, I purchased some Maerklin items and was horrified to find that they were made in China.
Paying premium German prices for Chinese made goods.
There is some deception there. also the quality was not there

I purchased some more HAG and could not find any change in Quality.

However there was a Marked difference in Quality in the Maerklin items.

I believe that manufacturing in China and charging Made in Germany prices would have had a big influence on the problems that Maerklin now face.
Hopefully they will pull through and stop producing the inferior products of which they are becoming famous for.

Hagess
  • Go to the top of the page

litra_eg

Forumist

Birthday: Sep 1st

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 12:02pm

Märklin´s deteriorating quality has been discussed ad nauseam in all German-language forums in the last couple of months, even years. Apparently, some of their stuff is from China, however, afaik, most is either from Györ/Hungary or Göppingen/Germany.

They do charge a premium, but otoh, their repair bay is extraordinary from what I hear. If you have a defective product (which I don´t understand why you bought it in the first place), you can send it there either via your dealer or directly, after contacting Märklin first.

I´m sure the Märklin users here and elsewhere can direct you to the proper procedure.

EDIT: personally, I don´t care too much whether a model is made in China or elsewhere IF!!! I have access to spare parts, just in case, and if their quality is equal to or avove German/Swiss standards. For instance, I think that Roco´s class 1216 is very close to perfect. I also steer clear of all ACME offerings save for coaches because I couldn´t get any spares in case I break something. That is an absolute no-go, a deal-killer for me. So, China (to me) is not automatically "inferior".

Mike Cee

Forumist

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 9:54pm

Made In China

Hello,

I have no problem with made in China model trains. Most of the products that I have are of good quality and come close to their European counterparts. The truth is that most of those models are designed in Europe and are then manufactured in China from those plans.

If some companies have poorer products than others, this was also often the case when all of those manufacturers still manufactured their products in Europe.

The problem that I have is that if manufacturing in China is 40% cheaper (including shipping), then how come none or very little of those savings have been passed on to the consumer, and if there was an initial savings, the prices have been creeping up year by year.

So far, Maerklin has mostly had coaches and freight cars made in China. Most of the locomotives are still made in Hungary or Germany. The exception being some products licensed by Maerklin from other companies (ie Harry Potter, Kof shunters, etc).

I would expect that most European companies these days include parts made in China in their "made in EEC" products. I am sure that even Hag loks have some parts that are outsourced.

If you have had problems with a specific model, please address it with your dealer or with the manufacturer. I agree with Thomas' statement about parts, but have found that LSM was pretty good with providing replacement for missing/damaged parts in the one instance that I encountered.

The biggest problem I have seen continues to be companies who devote almost all of the profits to paying out stockholders and showing "profit" and not enough to product development and healthy operation of the business (as a long term entity).

Regards

Mike C

Ich habe gute und schlechte Chinesische Produkten in meiner Sammlung. Thomas sprach von Teilen die schwer zu finden sind. Ich hatte kein Problem mit ET von LSM gehabt. Das Qualitaet von Chinesische Modelle ist aehnlich zum Qualitaetsunterschied zwischen die selben Firmen wann die Produkten allen in Europa produziert waren.

Quality in = Quality out

S*** in = S*** out (Jedesmal)

Gruss

Mike C

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 10:17pm

Re: Maerklin Quality cause of failure??

Hagess, just for curiosity - which "Made in China" products did you actually purchase and for which price?

PS: The last sentence doesn't seem to fit logically to the rest of your message, 8)

Märklin und was halt sonst noch einigermassen dazu passt, wie z.B. HAG. :wink:

Birthday: Jan 14th 1962 (57)

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 10:41pm

Quoted from ""Lutz Hemmerich""

In der Quintessenz ist es völlig wurscht WO ein bestimmtes Modell gefertigt wird; es kommt auf die jeweilige Konstruktion an.

Solange die Qualität stimmt ist das tatsächlich egal. Ich erwarte aber auch vom Hersteller eine saubere Deklaration woher ein Produkt stammt. Märklin hat diesbezüglich noch Nachholbedarf. Es gibt Kunden die legen Wert darauf zu wissen woher ein Produkt stammt, da sie selber entscheiden wollen welche Produktions Nationen sie unterstützen wollen oder eben nicht.

Hier ist HAG vorbildlich und schreibt bei seinen Centurion Panzer wahrheitsgemäss China als Herkunftsland auf die Verpackung.
Gruss Erwin,

100. Mitglied G1MRA Schweiz.

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 11:01pm

Quoted from ""Cebu Pacific""

Hier ist HAG vorbildlich und schreibt bei seinen Centurion Panzer wahrheitsgemäss China als Herkunftsland auf die Verpackung.

So what! Was HAG erst jetzt gelernt hat machen Andere schon längst. :twisted:

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 11:25pm

So what! Was HAG erst jetzt gelernt hat machen Andere schon längst. :twisted:

Die Rede war allerdings von Märklin. 8)

Zumindest gibt es nach meinem Wissen bis jetzt keine Produkte von HAG die zu Unrecht ein Made in Switzerland tragen.

Märklin behilft sich zum Teil damit indem kein Herstellerland genannt wird, wie zum Beispiel auf den Jahreswagen 2005, 2006 und 2008.
Gruss Erwin,

litra_eg

Forumist

Birthday: Sep 1st

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 11:30pm

Gab es da nicht mal vor kurzem eine Köf, mit Zinkpest, die zuerst gar nicht, dann ein bißchen, und nachher komplett in China gefertigt worden war? Und die - offiziell - den Chefentwickler, Herrn Kern, den Job kostete, weil er in einem Forum behauptet hatte, die Lok sei irgendwie eine Fälschung aus China gewesen?

Was stand denn eigentlich bei diesen Märklin-Zinkpest-Köfs auf der Verpackung als Herstellungsort angegeben? China? ?(:

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 11:32pm

Märklin behilft sich zum Teile damit indem kein Herstellerland genannt wird, wie zum Beispiel auf den Jahreswagen 2005, 2006 und 2008.

Sowie die Hobby Loks (Br. 482 und Co.). Weder auf der Schachtel, noch auf der Lok ist irgendwo vermerkt, woher die Lok stammt...

Ist die Angabe des Produktionslandes eigentlich nicht Pfliche?

Gruss, Patrik

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 11:38pm

Früher sah es auf einem Wagenboden so wie auf dem Bild unten aus. Diese Zeiten scheinen aber schon einige Zeit vorbei zu sein.

Die meisten Leute wird nur die Tatsache stören, dass der Eindruck erweckt wird, das meiste stammt aus Deutschland, was heute anscheinend nicht mehr der Fall ist.

Gruss Erwin,

hagess

Forumist

Sunday, April 5th 2009, 11:50pm

Hagess, just for curiosity - which "Made in China" products did you actually purchase and for which price?

PS: The last sentence doesn't seem to fit logically to the rest of your message, 8)

Actually I did not buy any Maerklin Products as I was not satisfied as to their quality. to my untrained eye the quality was not up to the standard of the Maerklin products that I have.

At the time I was in North America.

I believe that there are good and bad products emanating from China. However I was a little innocent in believing that Maerklin was another word for quality and Made in germany.

mad

Forumist

Monday, April 6th 2009, 5:32pm

Früher sah es auf einem Wagenboden so wie auf dem Bild unten aus. Diese Zeiten scheinen aber schon einige Zeit vorbei zu sein.

Machmal auch so:

Gab es denn auch mal noch ein anderes Deutschland ?(: :roll: :wink:

Monday, April 6th 2009, 5:38pm

Quoted from ""mad""

Gab es denn auch mal noch ein anderes Deutschland ?(: :roll: :wink:

Dort stand Gützold drauf. :wink:

Meine rote Ee 3/3 ist auch nur noch mit Märklin beschriftet, bei der Heizer Re 460 steht noch Märklin Made in Germany darauf.
Gruss Erwin,

ginne2

Forumist

Monday, April 6th 2009, 5:50pm

Dort stand Gützold drauf. :wink:

meist aber Piko DDR
MfG Günther
sUimeA

erwa20

Forumist

Monday, April 6th 2009, 5:59pm

Bei einigen meiner Piko-Modelle steht "Made in GDR"

Ich habe mal bei meinen Trix Modellen nachgeschaut, Packungen auf denen noch "Trix Nuernberg" aufgedruckt ist steht auch noch "Made in Germany" Ist "Trix Göppingen" zu lesen fehlt der Hinweis auf die Herkunft.
Gruss
Beat

:!: Scheint die Sonne auf das Schwert, macht der Segler was verkehrt :!:

Tuesday, April 7th 2009, 11:14am

Quoted from ""mad""

Gab es denn auch mal noch ein anderes Deutschland

Bekanntlich ist das selbst in Schweizer Schulen Bestandteil des Geschichtsunterrichts. :roll:

Die Deklarationspflicht über das Ursprungsland einer Ware ist zum Glück nicht vom Gutdünken einiger Schweizer Forums Modellbahner abhängig. :lol:

Tuesday, April 7th 2009, 11:22am

Quoted from ""hagess""

Actually I did not buy any Maerklin Products...

In your posting above you just stated the opposite. ?(

I assume that you're then also not even able to tell which products you're specifically referring to; as well not which "quality criteria" they failed to meet - other than carrying a specific sticker. 8)

Thanks anyways, the real intend of your thread appears to be clear now (at least to me). :wink:

Tuesday, April 7th 2009, 12:24pm

Quoted from ""mad""

Gab es denn auch mal noch ein anderes Deutschland

Bekanntlich ist das selbst in Schweizer Schulen Bestandteil des Geschichtsunterrichts. :roll:

Humor ist wenn man trotzdem lacht.

Die Deklarationspflicht über das Ursprungsland einer Ware ist zum Glück nicht vom Gutdünken einiger Schweizer Forums Modellbahner abhängig. :lol:

Wer sich weigert korrekt zu deklarieren, hat etwas zu verbergen. :!: :!:
Gruss Erwin,

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 11:35pm

Wer sich weigert korrekt zu deklarieren, hat etwas zu verbergen.

Wie z.B. Banken eines nicht weiter genannten Alpenlandes. :twisted:

Friday, April 10th 2009, 8:36am

Der letzte rote Pfeil von Märklin (37866) hat zwar einen neuen Motor, Sound und mfx erhalten, eine Zeitgemässe Inneneinrichtung um das Modell aufzuwerten hat man sich leider gespart. Der möchtegern K3 macht auch nicht eine wirklich gute Falle.

Mit solch halbherzigen Wiederauflagen lassen sich auch nicht so viele Punkte gutmachen, zumindest nicht bei mir.

Griffstangen aus Metalldraht, eine dem Vorbild entsprechende Inneneinrichtung und ein Aufsteckscheibe für das Schlusslicht würden das Modell für mich stark aufwerten.

Heutzutage muss man sich um die Kunden bemühen und nicht nur mit markigen Sprüchen operieren. :!: Auch das sind Qualitätsmerkmale einer Firma.
Gruss Erwin,